Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Frozen in time and space

I also felt a sense of betrayal as I had always claimed Rajiv Gandhi to be my favourite leader, writes Vareen Ray

This was no Jallianwala Bagh where thousands of Sikhs were massacred while protesting against the British rule. Children born post 1980 (me included) had read about the anguish and the atrocities on Sikhs had to bear during partition. I had heard stories from my grandmother when she along with her family had to leave behind their ancestral home and all belongings in Rawalpindi to move lock, stock and barrel to Delhi. I could hear the excruciating pain she had suffered and still lingers on in her memory, 62 years of Independence. I had developed a deep abhorrence towards the Britishers who had ruled our country. But this was worse. In a span of just three short days (October 31-November 2, 1984) over 3,000 Sikhs were massacred in New Delhi. Reason: On October 31, 1984, India’s then Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi was assassinated by her two Sikh bodyguards – Satwant Singh and Kehar Singh – in retaliation for the storming of the Sikh holy shrine of the Golden Temple in Amritsar in June during Operation Blue Star.

I grew up as a regular Delhiite, with out a care in the world. I never bothered about the political scene in the country. I was untouched both emotionally & physically by the ghosts left behind by the 1984 carnage on Sikhs in the Capital or the 1992 bloodbath in Mumbai or for that matter, even the ghastly killing in Godhra.

Meanwhile, the political scene in the country was heating up. On April 17, 1999, Atal Bihari Vajpayee lost a confidence vote in the Lok Sabha and consequently tendered the resignation of his coalition government. So, on April 26, then President of India, late K. R. Narayanan, dissolved the Lok Sabha and called for early elections.

I had just turned major, but I didn’t have the voter’s I-card, so couldn’t cast my vote. Being an army man’s daughter, discussions around politics and government were very normal during the dinner table and the entire family used to chip in.


For more articles, Click on IIPM Article.
Source :
IIPM Editorial, 2008
An Initiative of IIPM, Malay Chaudhuri and
Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist).
IIPM Best B-school
IIPM
IIPM Global B-School
IIPM Alumni Officially on Facebook
For More IIPM Info, Visit below mentioned IIPM articles.
Shahrukh khan to Host IIPM 4Ps Annual Business and Marketing Quiz
IIPM: History, and Founder Director Dr. M.K. Chaudhuri
IIPM New Delhi, The Indian Institute of Planning and Management, India
IIPM Placements New Delhi, India
IIPM New Delhi India
IIPM MBA Institute India
IIPM - International
Business and Economy - India's Most Influential Business and ...
Rankings IIPM, The Indian Institute of Planning and Management India
Management Certification, IIPM India
(IIPM) Management Education Institute India
Indian Institute of Planning and Management: IIPM New Delhi, India